Monday, August 3, 2015

How to Keep Camping Food Fresh?

I have always been asked by friends how I kept my camping food fresh. Well, the answer is quite simple. I have a little trick I like to use. It keeps all my food fresh for a couple of days. This is perfect as most of my camping trips are three days long.


Coolers are the most popular way to keep your camping meals chilled and fresh. However, when you are in the backcountry you cannot carry around a cooler. My trick is based on the same concept and is really simple and inexpensive. Here is what you will need for successful and fresh backcountry meals:
  • A small soft insulated cooler bag
  • Your favorite meat such as steak, pork chop, half chicken, etc.

That’s it! Those are the key factors. Then you can select and add your favorite fresh veggies, fruit, eggs, etc. Here is what you need to do:
how to keep camping food fresh
© Robin, Leighton Moss 2009


  1. Season the meat using any of your favorite camping recipes (or have your butcher do it)
  2. Seal the meat using a vacuum sealer (or have your butcher do it)
  3. Freeze the meat

Once the meat is frozen it will act as an ice pack inside the soft cooler. This will keep all the other camping food you wish to chill nice and cold until you are ready to eat.

I usually enjoy the “main camping meal” on the early evening of the second day of camping. This way it has kept my camping food chilled for most of the trip and I can enjoy the meal without worrying about spoilage.

Try this trick for successful and delicious campfire recipes!


Do you have a tip for keeping your camping meals fresh?

Share your best tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment