Saturday, July 18, 2015

My Best Camping Meals of all time

While camping with my wife at Bon Echo Provincial Park we shared the absolutely most delicious of camping meals. And the funny part is that it was by accident.
 
My wife and I were preparing for our annual Just the two of us trip and were going over our camping checklist. When we got to the meal plan we both agreed that we didn’t feel like having steak on the fire this time around. When it comes to camping food, we enjoy a well put together meal. Especially after a day of hiking, biking, canoeing or just sun bathing. The conversation left off at “let’s just have chicken” and we continued to pack. My wife headed out the next day to complete the food shopping for the trip.

If you haven’t been to Bon Echo, give it a go. Its prominent feature is Mazinaw Rock, a huge cliff with ancient native pictographs that can be seen only by canoe or boat. We had a wonderful time exploring. Even though the weather was miserable we still enjoyed the experience but nothing could have prepared us for the camping meal which we were about to have.

I had the fire going for a while and the red hot embers were giving off serious heat. The picnic table was set and the salads were ready. Then my wife took out the chicken. It wasn’t thighs, or a breast… it was half of a chicken. I look at her in disbelief “What is that?” to which she replied “The chicken”. She had brought half a chicken for the two of us to share. And I was supposed to cook this thing. It was already getting dim out. My first thought was that this was going to be a long night.


best camping meals
© Dawn Huczek 2009
I decided to slap the chicken on the grill over the campfire. Moving it around strategically to avoid burning. A short while later it was near pitch black and we were washing our salads down with some Cabernet-Sauvignon. As the chicken turned golden brown, we could hear the juices sizzle as they dripped into the flames. It was time. We cut off small pieces and tried it. The taste was incredible. The hunger urged us on. We spent the next hour talking and laughing slicing off tender pieces of the most enjoyable of camping meals that I have ever had. The meat seemed to fall off the bone and it paired well with our vino.

The chicken was delicious and we had a memorable camping experience. These are the moments that keep me trekking back out there time after time, rain or shine.

Do you have a favorite story to share?

Tell us what happened. We’d love to hear it.


1 comment:

  1. Extraordinary post, you have called attention to some phenomenal focuses , I similarly think this s an exceptionally brilliant site. http://www.omeals.com/

    ReplyDelete